Re: [SLUG] Marketing

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 17:14:03 EDT

Bill Shaw wrote:

> Have you seen what geek squad charges?
>
> $90 for a data backup. How long does it take to burn CD's?
> $30 to install software
> $160 setup wireless for 2 systems
> $230 for what amounts to clean spyware and do updates!
>
> You don't have to be cheap. You just need to remind people what the
> alternatives are.

For some reason, most home users try to get away with paying as little
as possible, regardless of the complexity of the task (usually because
they have little understanding of what their problem really is). And the
wealthier they are, the tighter they are on the pocket book.

My approach is usually to say, "my rate starts at $100 an hour and goes
up from there if it's very technical stuff, but I'm good at what I do
and try to get out of your hair as fast as I can". If it's something
small that doesn't promise to be fun or entertaining, or someone that
doesn't appear to be pleasant on the phone, I refer them to the SLUG
list and suggest they ask for help from one of the others on the list.

But I'm not in it for the money. I have a nice day job I'm quite happy
with (hey, you can't beat playing with opensource all day and getting
paid for it!)

Any work usually ends up after hours, usually during the weekend when I
have some free time.

If I get there and have a little fun or learn something new, I'll say
"don't worry about it, the first hit is free", and wonder away with a
very happy person that will probably recommend me to their friends. In
any case, it's good word-of-mouth advertising that grows your world a
little.

If I get there and it's a pain in the behind, or if they're being really
irritating or demanding, I'll be sure to repeat my billrate again and
perhaps make them a little guilty about it.

The trick with most home users is not getting used by them. People will
abuse you if they think they can get away with it.

Most small companies will pay you whatever they have to to fix their
problem, and will usually bend over backward if it is particularly
complicated to solve. Those kind of problems usually end up being the
most interesting to me anyway.

It continually amazes me the number of small businesses in the area that
have no absolutely no understanding of basic IT.

- Ian C. Blenke <icblenke@nks.net> <ian@blenke.com> http://ian.blenke.com/