Re: [SLUG] Marketing

From: Eric A. Hicks (lugmail@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 17:37:26 EDT

Kwan Lowe wrote:

> Give talks, answer questions online, hand out cards at computer shows,
> leave cards with people at CompUSA, word of mouth.

I'll second that. My current gig is that I have established contacts in
a couple of retired communities. They all seem to have computer clubs
that meet weekly or monthly at their clubhouse. I'm working on a group
right now that I'll be giving two different talks to. The first is on
security (IE vs Firefox/Thunderbird, AVG/Avast, Adaware/SpybotS&D) and
also wireless security. The second, I've found that retired folks are
facinated by Google products. I'm going to talk about some advanced
search features of Google and then introduce them to Google Maps and
Google Earth. I do these talks for free and I hand out a summary of my
talk with weblinks and quick references, papercliped with my business card.

And the added benefit to this is that I get to plug some open-source
products!