Re: [SLUG] Marketing

From: Pete Theisen (petet@acun.com)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 22:17:27 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
<snip>
>> Don't even think of doing your own bulk mail, cheaper to have it
>> done. I have about 4,500 pieces going out next week.
>
> Not true. I pay $150 per year for a bulk permit, and the cost can be
> a little over half the cost of first class postage, depending on how
> you do it. You do need to learn how to do bulk mail and get trays and
> such from the P.O. But you can definitely save money if you're
> willing to get your hands dirty.

Hi Paul!

Really! Have you figured yourself an hourly rate for getting your hands
dirty as you put it, or do you have yourself on salary? <s>

That is what I was getting at, *all* the costs. Wages for whoever does
it, supplies, postage, a mailing list, the permit you mentioned,
printing/folding/stuffing machines, forklift, truck and a place to keep
all of it . . . You add all that up and you are working awfully hard to
pay about the same, usually more.

Of course, if you are in that business anyway . . . "Quill and Mouse"
sounds like you might be.

Regards,

Pete