Re: [SLUG] Debian resolution again.

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 13:58:01 EDT

On Thursday 08 September 2005 13:37, michael hast wrote:
> Hey, all.
>
> I just got a new toy today. I put my 17" Dell E770s to pasture and
> picked up a Compaq P110. This new monitor is a 21" CRT with a
> resolution of 1600x1200. (Ebay, $30.) I plugged it in, and it
> displays, but even when I run my "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", in
> KDE the resolution won't go any higher than 1280x1024. Could I have hit
> a ceiling on my video card's capabilities, or am I just doing something
> wrong? I don't really know what kind of card it is, but I suppose
> that's the next step. Also, I may try booting up without the desktop
> manager and run it again to see if that does any good.
> Thanks,
> Michael
Whatever distro you are using, I can usually look around and
find a list of installed hardware including more data than you
can get by pulling the card and looking at it.
Find out what card you have. How much videoram you have
and Google it to see if it supports the resolution you want.

                   Richard Smoot