Re: [SLUG] Partition new HD first?

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 11:26:45 EDT

On Sun, 2005-09-11 at 00:36 -0400, Bob Stia wrote:
> On Saturday 10 September 2005 11:35 pm, Richard Smoot wrote:
> > On Saturday 10 September 2005 18:06, Bob Stia wrote:
> > > Hello Sluggers,
> > >
> .............<snip a bunch>...........
> > > Can I just plug in the new drive, boot SuSE from the boot CD and
> > > then go partition from there? Then go reinstall Windoze and restore
> > > the mbr ?
> > >
> > > Thanks for any guidance.
> > >
> > > Bob S.
>
> Thanks Eben, Richard
> >
> > Your new drive needs to be master on the first IDE port usually IDE0.
>
> Yes it is the master and will replace the old master.
>
> > Start to install Windows. You should be able to select to install it
> > on a partition of 5 to 10 gigs.
>
> Really ??? It will allow that? This is Win98. I guess I will find out
> early in the install. (Would really love to dump it but have some
> proprietary programs that will only run on Win) (entrance gate control
> for the community) Anyway.....

Bob,

Depending on how ambitious you are...and given the fact that it's
Windows 98...and depending on your computer's resources....

Have you given any thought to bochs?? It works well with Windows 98 and
is included in the standard SuSE rpm package set. It works kinda like
VMware and allows you to boot Windows inside of SuSE. It's a little
more work to set it up than VMware but well worth it if you have the
available resources. Then you don't have to dual boot. You can run
Linux all the time!! The other thing I do is set up a samba share on my
SuSE to allow windows to connect to it through the emulator. Then I
store all my important files on the "samba shared" ext3 partition so
when windows crashes, nothing is lost. :^) Unfortunately I bought
Windows ME and am not willing to go pay money again for another less
buggy version. And believe me, it breaks quite frequently.

Mike Branda Jr.