[SLUG] Opera goes FREE!

From: Steven Buehler (swbuehler@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 19:52:31 EDT

Note: The announcement below does not affect the mobile versions of
Opera ... the Mobile versions for Series 60 and Windows Mobile are
still commercial payware.

---

Feel Free: Opera Eliminates Ad Banner and Licensing Fee

Oslo, Norway - September 20, 2005

Opera Software today permanently removed the ad banner and licensing fee from its award-winning Web browser. The ad-free, full-featured Opera browser is now available for download - completely free of charge – at http://www.opera.com.

"Today we invite the entire Internet community to use Opera and experience Web browsing as it should be," said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. "Removing the ad banner and licensing fee will encourage many new users to discover the speed, security and unmatched usability of the Opera browser."

Opera was previously available free of charge with an ad banner. Users had the option of paying a licensing fee to remove the ad banner and receive premium support.

"Opera fans around the globe made this day possible," said von Tetzchner. "As we grow our userbase, our mission and our promise remain steadfast: we will always offer the best Internet experience to our users - on any device. Today this mission gains new ground."

Availability

Download the Opera browser, available in 20 languages. The complete download is less than 4MB.

About the Opera Browser

Already regarded as the world's fastest, most secure browser, Opera speeds up your Web browsing with these innovative features:

Navigate quickly using intuitive mouse gestures and browser tabs Start from where your last browsing session ended or save your entire session Access downloaded files quickly with the transfer manager Protect against identity theft and phishing with integrated security features Speak up: surf the Web hands-free using voice commands Shop Amazon, browse Ebay, and search the Web with Google right from the address bar Set reminders for Web pages you visit with the notes feature Additional information

A complete list of features Screenshots Press resources About Opera Software ASA

Opera Software ASA is an industry leader in the development of Web browser technology, targeting the desktop, smartphone, PDA, home media and vertical markets. Partners include companies such as IBM, Nokia, Sony, Motorola, Adobe, Macromedia, Symbian, Canal+ Technologies, Sony Ericsson, Kyocera, Sharp, Motorola Metroworks, MontaVista Software, BenQ, Sendo and AMD. The Opera browser has received international recognition from users, industry experts and media for being faster, smaller and more standards-compliant than other browsers.

Opera's browser technology is cross-platform and modular, and currently available on the following operating systems: Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Symbian OS, Windows Mobile, BREW, QNX, TRON, FreeBSD, Solaris and Mediahighway.

Opera Software ASA is headquartered in Oslo, Norway, with development centers in Linkoping and Gothenburg, Sweden. The company is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol OPERA. Learn more about Opera at www.opera.com.

Steven W. Buehler | steven@sanctuaryweb.org Web Page: http://www.sanctuaryweb.org | http://renaitre.iuma.com Instant Messengers: stevenbuehlerfl (AIM) | stevenwbuehler (Yahoo!/ Skype™ VoIP) | stevenwbuehler@msn.com (MSN Msgr.) | 342601403 (ICQ) PGP/GnuPG Key (for private messages): http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/ lookup?op=get&search=0xB6FAFE79