Re: [SLUG] Web Based Time Tracking

From: Craig Zeigler (craig@ctrust.com)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 08:16:26 EDT

mark@bish.net wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Jeffrey Kroll wrote:
>
>> mark@bish.net wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have any experience with such a product/program. I am
>>> looking for recommendations good or bad.
>>

>> Tons of them out there... PHProjekt and dotproject just two of the ones
>> I can think of off the top of my head
>> I have tested dotproject in a non production envrionment and believe
>> that it would be a good time management web based asset.
>

> Yeah, I saw that on my google search which is why I am asking people
> so that I can narrow down my search. I don't want to spend a lot of
> time trying something out to not have it work well.
>

>> Here's a MUCH longer list
>>
>> http://proj.chbs.dk/
>>

> Thanks for the list.

I've used PHProjekt, and several others. The one I've come to like the
best is eGroupware. It seems to have about everything I need. The code
is a bit messy if you plan on editing anything, but its not impossible.
The interface is nice and clean, projects can be laid out properly. I've
been using is for about 8 months now and its been very nice to have
around. I'm not sure what I'd do without it.

As for Projekt. Its simple, a bit crude, and mostly in German, but it
works. There are a number of things you can't easily do like change the
way it sorts, and the priorities are backwards for us lazy Americans. It
might be worth a try. One of the nice things about projekt is a 5 year
old could set it up in about 20 minutes.

My recommendation is to have a good look at eGroupware. It took a bit of
getting used to but once I did, it works very well. Keep in mind that
opinions are like *** holes... everyone has one, they all stink, and no
one like hearing anyone's beside their own.

--
Craig Zeigler
Network Administrator