Re: [SLUG] lost and confused

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Sep 22 2005 - 20:21:51 EDT

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 19:50 -0400, botteman wrote:
> Geez, this linux stuff is tough to figure out.
>
> Where do I find things in this system of directories?
>
> While surfing with Mozilla, I clicked on a page that
> requires a Java plugin, and was given an option of
> downloading a self-extracting java install file.
>
> I think ... 'maybe I better read the instructions for this.'
>
> They say:
> "Go to the plugins sub-directory under the Mozilla
> installation directory"
>
> In M$ windows, I can read the properties of any
> shortcut and find what that program is and where
> it is located.
>
> Now I know I can't ask you guys where the Mozilla
> directory is ... it varies with each distro, right?
>
> But there oughtta be a way to ask my os where it is,
> am I right?
>
> For that matter I ought to be able to locate the
> directories for just about any program, shouldn't I?
>
> How do I do that?
>
> Dave

Dave,

Which distro are you using?? Some of the members of this list are more
familiar with certain distros. You're right that each is is different.
One command you can use to find the executable path for a command for
your distro is "which". i.e. "which mozilla" from a shell
returns /opt/kde3/mozilla on my machine. But that's only the
executable. The configuration files for the majority of things usually
reside in /etc (most distros). Or they are kept with the program
like /usr/local/foobar/etc. Mozilla's config stuff however usually
resides in a hidden directory in your user home folder (/home/mbranda on
my machine) named ".mozilla". Notice the preceding dot. You have to
check show hidden files and folders in konqueror to view this or an "ls
-la" from a command line in your home dorectory will accomplish this
also.

HTH.

Mike Branda Jr.