[SLUG] Looking for embedded processor help

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Fri Sep 23 2005 - 03:40:08 EDT

Hello Folks,

Friend of mine who is looking for some insite wrote "Processor will have
a 512K Non-volitile RAM that I need to always keep loaded with the
current state of the application. My state is about 400K in size and
updates about every 100 msec. On the 186/386 with no OS I simply
allocated my current status registers to the memory location of the
NVRAM at compile time. The problem I have with Linux is that with the
virtual address space, the application CAN NOT access a physical
address. I have attempted to create a JFFS RAM drive on the NVRAM and
simply open, write status and close a file in this RAM space but updates
going through the OS was way to slow. I really need to have a way for
the application to directly use this memory without going through the
OS. My last idea, which I have no idea how to do, would be to write my
entire application as a device driver, and thus would have unlimited
access to all physical addresses, but then again things would get ugly
if the program went rogue. Any ideas???"

Any clues would help.

Thanks, Pete S.