Re: [SLUG] bash - moving up a notch

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 18:08:50 EDT

On Wednesday 05 October 2005 17:43, Mike Branda wrote:
> anybody know how to in essence "auto fill" a read in sh/bash??
>
> for example:
>
> foo.sh runs another program inside itself that asks a question and then
> waits for a return off of a read. Based on a test of the question
> (redirected from stdout?) a predefined variable is entered as the answer
> and then returned somehow to the inside program.
>
> Is this possible? I have a config program that has to be run multiple
> times (different machines) with the same answers.

If bash turns control over to shell for stdinput then it's waiting until the
end of the world. If you ran a keyboard scanner then you could do this, as it
detects key pressed and you can do something with that.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.