Re: [SLUG] bash - moving up a notch

From: Mike Branda (realraccoon@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Oct 05 2005 - 19:58:03 EDT

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 18:19 -0400, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> Mike Branda wrote:
> > anybody know how to in essence "auto fill" a read in sh/bash??
> >
> > for example:
> >
> > foo.sh runs another program inside itself that asks a question and then
> > waits for a return off of a read. Based on a test of the question
> > (redirected from stdout?) a predefined variable is entered as the answer
> > and then returned somehow to the inside program.
> >
> > Is this possible? I have a config program that has to be run multiple
> > times (different machines) with the same answers.
>
> I'm not certain but are you talking about some sort of default entry?

Yes

> Can you give a more concrete example of what you're trying to accomplish?

I'm not sure how but I'll try to explain it better. If you're asking
for an example script...I'm not sure where to start this one... but if
need be after this, I will try.

Basically, I dont want to have to answer the same exact questions
dozens of times. I want to do it once by hand, record the questions and
my answers, look for what's unique in each question with the outer
script and insert the proper answer stored in a variable form. All
automated after the first one by hand. The alternative would be to hack
the config file not to ask the questions (input reads) and just set it
to the answers although there are a lot of if's to handle the returned
possibilities.

If the idea (auto filling the answers) is too clunky it's o.k. but I was
wondering if it's even possible.

Thanks again.

Mike