Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu disks

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 21:45:51 EDT

>From: botteman <botteman@knology.net>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Ubuntu disks
>Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:37:27 -0400
>
>Eben King wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 8 Oct 2005, botteman wrote:
>>

>>>Okay, nobody at the Dunedin meeting had one of the free Ubuntu disks.
>>>Who's got 'em and how do I get one?
>>>

>>Probably faster to go to http://us.releases.ubuntu.com/releases/5.10/ and
>>download an .iso .
>>

>Downoaded the 5.10 .iso file and burned it onto a cd.
>It won't start when I reboot the computer with the
>disk in the cd drive. (Yes the bios is set to boot from
>cdrom first.)
>
>Is that because I have to somehow make it a bootable cd?
>
>Duh

When you burn the CD make sure that you are creating the CD from the ISO
file as opposed to just storing the file you downloaded as a single data
file on CD (if you view the contents of the CD after you burn it, you should
see multple files instead of just one). Also, you might want to verify the
md5sum of the ISO file that you downloaded to ensure that it downloaded
correctly. If you need more help, let us know what program you're using to
burn.
-Jonathon