Re: [SLUG] books/ref. material

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Oct 16 2005 - 04:06:56 EDT

Pete Theisen wrote:

> michael hast wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> purchased one book to get my collection of Linuxature started: _
>> Linux Bible 2005 edition_ by Christopher Negus.
>

> Hi Michael!
>
> *hit! Take it back for a refund!
>
> I have his damned Red Hat 8 bible. I found that it all looked fine
> *until* you tried it.
>
> Following his directions *exactly* did not produce the desired result.
> Got some remarkable error messages, however.
>
> We are talking linux commands here. If there is one little typo in the
> command it *won't* work. Case sensitive, too.
>
> I don't think he actually tried the commands. It wouldn't surprise me if
> he just typed them into his manuscript assuming they would work because
> he is such an exalted expert and sent them to the printer.
>
> He and I exchanged emails but what I was trying (connect via dial-up)
> never worked. When all else fails blame the user or the hardware.
>
> That is were we left it, him fifty bucks richer and me fifty bucks
> poorer. I wish I hadn't bothered with that stupid book!
>
> Oh, sure, the smart*ss says, RPM the correct drivers. Then you are in
> "dependency hell" and none of the packages on RPM are ever complete, not
> one - and you can't connect anyway unless you switch over to Windows!
>
> Not only that, Red Hat absolutely disavowed the distro included with the
> book. Send money and we will get you going with the "correct" version of
> RH 8 was the gist of their message, never mind the fifty you already
> paid.
>
> Who do they think they are, Micro$oft? Gentoo, of all things, is
> easier than Red Hat 8 as included with Negus' book!
>
> I should have taken the damned book back, but I had about worn it out
> *trying* to get it to work. Set it up on four or five boxes and *none*
> of them worked.
>
> If you find that it doesn't work for you *right* away, *first*try*, take
> it back and get your money. Linux Bible 2005 indeed!
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

    Well, don't sugar-coat it, Pete. Tell me how you feel about it! ;-)
As I got to reading it at the house, I did notice a couple of
peculiarities. First of all, it says that it is the "2005" edition, but
all the software with it is outdated. Why do I want a copy of Knoppix
3.6 or Suse 9.1 that came out this year? Secondly, I have noticed quite
a few print typos in the reading parts. Like you said, those commands
have got to be ver batem or they won't work. As many mistakes as I have
seen in the informational stuff... ...the possibilities kind of give
me the chills.
    On the other hand, I got the book as a general overview of what
Linux could do for me and what directions I wanted to make more in-depth
studies. It might still serve that purpose. It looks like about a
third of the book is blown on the differences between Slackware and
Coyote, etc., but if there is any truth in the sections on server
settings and the like, even as vague as it has to be to be spread this
thin, I can Google to fill in the blanks. So, I don't really know what
I'll do. I may keep it for a little while--just long enough to really
get a fair assesment on whether this thing is going to do me any good.
    I'm not counting on any of the software--it's all stuff that I can
get a more current copy of for free. I'm not even counting on this
thing to be scripture--despite the title. For my purposes, it may still
do the trick.
Regards, Michael