Re: [SLUG] LAN

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 22:56:56 EDT

    I've got a good one for you--thread related. I work for a very
small company that has no room for full-time IT. So, there is a
gentleman that will come in on an on-call basis to
tune/repair/kick-with-his-boot our M$ Exchange servers and XPee
terminals. He came in today, and I saw him poking our servers with a
stick to try to get them to work as they sit in full view of my desk. I
casually asked him, "So, you ever play with Linux?"
    "I have," he responded, "Although not nearly enough. There's a lot
of cool stuff you can do with it, but I just don't have time."
    After a short silence I again addressed him, "My wife and I are
trying to set up some file sharing at our house, but we are having a
little trouble with it."
    To which he said, "Are you running XP?"
    Confused by my answer, he asked, "2000?"
    Finally, I told him, "Debian."
    Incredulously, he said, "You're not running ANYTHING Microsoft?"
    To which I clarified, "Well, the X-Box."
    He again asked, "You have multiple machines at home in a network and
they are ALL running Linux?"
    "Yes."
    "You are more brave than me," he responded, "That's pretty
courageous to not have ANY Windows PC's."
    He was really nice the whole time, but it was clear that he was
finding it very difficult to wrap his brain around using Linux that
fully. After This many months of the stuff, still not a year, I have
used several distrobutions and desktop managers, I have pulled files off
of people's Windon't hard drives using Knoppix and I have used
boot-and-nuke. I've figured out how to configure, compile and all kinds
of stuff with help (thanks, guys). At this point, it's like, yeah,
there's other stuff to learn, but it's not that big a deal. I'm
surprised that a free-lance IT guy by trade is not completely into
Linux. I suppose it takes all types, afterall.