[SLUG] Re: slug] OCR program recommendation

From: R P Herrold (herrold@owlriver.com)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 13:49:18 EST

On Wed, 2 Nov 2005, botteman wrote:

> Anybody have first-hand experience with a program
> (windoz or otherwise) which might be able to work
> in this situation? The resulting file I want to generate
> doesn't have to have all the fonts/sizes of the original.

Some years ago I followed the development of a FOSS project
called 'clara-ocr' which was progressing well and read fairly
accurately -- designed to read old, hard to read texts.

The last upstream release I saw was back in 2002, and the
claraocr.org has been taken by a domain squatter. Mandrake
carried it back then

... fortunately, I packaged it back almost exactly 4 years
ago, and an older copy exists in my archive at:
    ftp://ftp.owriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/clara/
in SRPM form -- it builds fine on CentOS-4 and cAos-[12] with
a minor tweak to the .spec file, to reflect changes in build
and packaging practices over the last few years. A new
version (0.9.8-2orc) will appear there tomorrow after it gets
through my release process.

Clara OCR is a free (GPL) Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
program for systems that support the C library and the X
windows system (e.g. most flavours of Unix). The development
platform of Clara OCR is 32-bit Intel running GNU/Linux.

Clara OCR is intended for large scale digitalization projects.
It features a powerful GUI and a web interface for cooperative
digitalization of books. Clara OCR development started in 1999
and is approaching production quality.

A recent post on the topic of an Open Source OCR shootout is
at:
    http://lists.canonical.org/pipermail/kragen-tol/2005-October/000799.html
and makes a good read

-- Russ Herrold