Re: [SLUG] Sony, Rootkits and DRM

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 08:57:17 EST

On Thursday 03 November 2005 04:47 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 12:00:21PM -0500, Steven Buehler wrote:
> > On Nov 3, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Mario Lombardo wrote:
> > >AFAIK, you have to turn on the HTML reading preference.
> >
> > HTML rendering is turned on by default; you have to explicitly opt to
> > read in text-only, unless you're reading Usenet where text-only is
> > default. The only mail client I know of that reads text-only by
> > default is Pine.
>
> And mutt.
>
> Paul

World of Warcraft hackers using Sony BMG rootkit

http://www.theregister.com/2005/11/04/secfocus_wow_bot/

Rootkit beets spyware

By SecurityFocus
Published Friday 4th November 2005 10:23 GMT
Get breaking Security news straight to your desktop - click here to find out
how

Want to cheat in your online game and not get caught? Just buy a Sony BMG copy
protected CD.

World of Warcraft hackers have confirmed that the hiding capabilities of Sony
BMG's content protection software can make tools made for cheating in the
online world impossible to detect. The software - deemed a "rootkit" by many
security experts - is shipped with tens of thousands of the record company's
music titles