Re: [SLUG] New Windows Singularity

From: Mavrick (icebergwaltz@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 11:21:05 EST

On 11/4/05, michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net> wrote:

> M$ hasn't ever been reliable. Why should they start all of a sudden?
> If it is everything they say it is, they won't release it. Just like
> Detroit. They DIDN'T put a Wenkle-style rotary engine in the Corvette
> because they realized that it wouldn't wear out. NASA can build a probe
> that can functionally fly through space for thirty years without human
> contact and yet we can't build a car that will out-do 150k miles without
> a struggle. It's called planned obsalecence. They won't release
> anything that's too good, because then, what's the incentive to buy the
> next one?
>
> --Michael

Sure, NASA can build a probe/spacecraft as you say. I'm sure that
GM/Ford/DiamlerChrysler could do the same with a car if given the
governmental subsidies/budgets that NASA receives. I don't know about you,
but I sure don't want to pay $865 million (cost to date of the
Voyager/Voyager II programs --
http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/didyouknow.html) for a grocery getter.
What Paul had to say about customer-driven economies is pretty close to the
mark. Without realizing it we do have a say.

Just my $.02. Peace

Mav