[SLUG] LOCALE errors

From: Ka Winter (ka_winter@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 19:57:37 EST

I have an AMD 64 machine running Kubuntu Breezy Badger
for 64 and I recently ran into a problem. When
running apt-get it wanted to install a language pack,
then it suddenly exploded into locale errors (see
below) and rebooted. Now apt-get install does not
work at all for any package and having googled the
problems I can say one thing for sure: lots of people
have them, few seem to know what to do about it. The
suggestion I ran across over and over (including in
the Ubuntu forums) is to run locale-gen but
locale-gen causes the machine to crash and reboot the
same way apt-get does. What the heck can I do about
this? B/T/W dpkg-reconfigure locales and localedef
also cause the crash and reboot. I have had Kubuntu
and Breezy Badger for all of 2 months. Is it time to
start over with another distro already?

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such
file or directory

locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No
such file or directory

locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such
file or directory

http://farechase.yahoo.com