Re: [SLUG] bash script - add new line breaks to a text file

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 15:23:31 EST

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 13:39 -0500, Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Mike Branda wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I have a problem here with a lot of duplicate files from multiple users.
> > Ran a program/script over the weekend that compares MD5's over a
> > directory or set of directories called dupliFinder. Works great but it
> > doesn't space out the output very well. There are no new lines in
> > between the duplicates which makes it very hard to read. Here's a
> > sample:

> I hope you're not planning to link together files owned by different users;
> that won't work, at least the obvious way didn't work.

Naaaah. Just planning on getting rid of the duplicates. Must of the
files belong in directories that are specific to a job. People would
drag _exact_ copies to their user directories from a job, or email a
copy from one person in the company to another rather than telling the
other user where the file is located on the server. User B would then
in turn save the attachment as another _exact_ copy in some other place.
Not only does this chew up server space, but internet bandwidth too as
our web/email host is in California and we of course are here and the
file leaves here, goes there and comes back here. Stupid huh? Desktop
support stuff sucks. And in this case end user ignorance causes
admin/network support issues too. Slowly but surely I'm trying to
educate them on better ways to do things.

Thanks for the suggestion Eben!!

Mike Branda Jr.