Re: [SLUG] PostScript Level 2 vs Level 3

From: Ian C. Blenke (icblenke@nks.net)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 17:03:59 EST

SOTL wrote:

>The office computer, running XP, and its printer, HP Office Jet, are two of
>the most screwed up devices that I have encountered in a long time. The
>computer because it has ever conceivable junk program that exist in it
>immense network issues and the printer as being multi function print, scan, &
>fax that HP did not make appropriate drivers for. And! this is for XP not
>Linux drivers.

Yeah, the HP "all-in-one" drivers are total crap. Whatever firm they
outsourced that development too seriously destroyed all credibility of
that line of printers from HP. The drivers spin out of control whenever
they feel like it, taking all available CPU, and every "fix" I've tried
on every all-in-one driver installation I've been forced to deal with
have not addressed the crappiness of those drivers.

HP printers with "normal" drivers (not the "all-in-one" crap) function
just fine in my experience.

>So what I do not want to do is spend $400 and then find out that I can not
>print. Yes I know of the Linux printer compability list but past issues with
>such lists indicate that it is best to ask what people more knowledgable than
>I think.

I'd go with the $400 printer, though that's more than I'd want to spend
for a printer these days.

I myself don't own a functional printer. I just don't see the need for
paper. Sometimes customers force us to support things we'd never buy
ourselves ;)

 - Ian