Re: [SLUG] New Windows Singularity

From: James (penroses@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 08:04:16 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ken Elliott" <kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <slug@nks.net>
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:34 AM
Subject: RE: [SLUG] New Windows Singularity

> >>I'd say, don't waste your money unless/until you find that the software
> you want requires XP.
>
> So far, _everything_ runs on W2K, even when it says "requires XP". Now,
I'm
> certain that Microsoft will have _something_ that won't work (by design)
> since they have an interest in selling the latest/greatest(tm) OS. But
> everyone else wants to sell to the mass market, and there's more W2K
> machines out there than XP in corporate America. Lots of ID departments
> locked in on W2k as a standard and MS has not been able to get them to
> change... Even though they charge them more money for W2K.
>
> This is one reason that MS is concerned about Linux. W2K is not just
"good
> enough", it is preferred by many of us. Apple's OS/X is far better on the
> desktop. Linux is making inroads on the server, and MS is caught between
> the two. With IBM, HP and other "big iron" guys supporting Linux, IT
> departments are starting to realize they can move to Linux and have a
single
> OS on PC-based servers and big iron. And a _lot_ of that stuff applies to
> OS/X. No OS has ever dominated for very long, and MS knows Windows will
get
> replaced at some time. Thus they are wise to explore a stable OS that is,
> by nature, cross platform. Otherwise they will be forced to develop a
> BSD-based OS, just like Apple did. And Apple has a huge head start.
>
> The Linux/OSX combination is _very_ attractive.
>
> Ken Elliott
>
> =====================

I know most people on this list are well past the newbie stage, but the
general public really isn't interested in computers and just want an
appliance that works.
I really think XP is better for many people. At least now i don't have
people calling me every time something goes wrong with their windows puters.
Some of my customers just don't have a clue to using a computer but they
have to have one because everybody else has one. Usually it takes a few
weeks before they start calling with problems. With Win 98 and ME some were
calling the next day wanting me to fix their machines. Personally, i am now
trying to run Linux for my internet puter. All i get from most people around
here is blank stares when i mention this.