Re: [SLUG] Re: New Windows Singularity

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 20:14:11 EST

On 11/4/05, Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:42:09AM -0600, Levi Bard wrote:
>
> > On 11/3/05, chris lee <chris.a.lee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/
> > >
> > > could this possibly be the fabled MS Linux?
> >
> > No, it's in C#. If their propaganda is to be believed, it does employ
> > a lot of the same concepts as SELinux, though.
> >

> Ugh. C#, which runs on top of an interpreter and other stuff. It'll run
> like molasses. They'll have to compile it into native CPU code. And like
> C++, the executables will take many times longer to compile and be much
> bigger than regular C-based executables. Maybe, but then I don't think
> it would be for the embedded market.

C++ is slow to compile and bigger because of templates. C# (at least 2.0 IIRC)
has true polymorphic types, so it'll be much smaller when compiled to
machine code.
(Because for each class parametized by a type won't compile to a
different class.
E.g. a hashtable of strings and a hashtable of ints compile to two
classes in C++ STL, (I think) but only one in a language with
polymorphic types).