Re: [SLUG] New Windows Singularity

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Mon Nov 14 2005 - 20:43:39 EST

> I know most people on this list are well past the newbie stage,
> but the
> general public really isn't interested in computers and just want an
> appliance that works.
>

> I agree. It **ALL** depends on the user. Let's face it, most people
> in this world are not computer "experts". They have other jobs to do
> and they will choose tools that makes their jobs easier, not more of a
> PITA. Bill Gates figured this one out early, and now he has a net
> worth greater than some small countries. He may not win over and SLUG
> members, but he's not entirely wrong.

    I was talking with a die-hard M$ tech today about Linux. He said
that he has played around with it, but he doesn't think he'll ever want
to pursue seriously using it. He said that he knows a lot of people
that do use it, but he doesn't think it will ever "catch on" for the
masses. I had to agree with him. To most people, you could hang
laptops from the ceiling in a haunted house, and it would be creepier
than a guy with a chainsaw and a hockey mask. From there, if you take
away what people percieve to be secure and familiar--the OS--they will
really freak out. I've been shocked at how many people say to me, "I
don't even know what Linux is." On SFD, giving away live and install
cd's was brilliant. I have to tip my hat to every one that was involved
with that. If you have handed them a cd and told them that it won't
affect their computer, they will take it. Hey, free software, good
deal, right? When they get it home, they will try it. Sooner or later,
the curiousity will catch up with them.
    Even so, I don't believe that an entity like Linux will ever take a
foothold in the mainstream. For one, it is not a unified entity that
can have a marketing department, or support centers, or any of the
things that make people feel like it's okay. (Some of you will probably
argue with me on this.) Yes, if I purchase a copy of Redhat or
Mandriva, it will come with support. But most Linux support comes like
the Slug list for the obvious reason that the GPL causes diversity in
programming. The average user would not consider replacing their
precious OS with something that a handful of people wrote in their free
time, and most people have a hard time thinking of something free as
useful. That, in a nutshell, is my take on the double-edged nature of
free software. I like it (although I'm not really well versed on the
command line yet.)

--Michael