Re: [SLUG] Virus now using Sony's "rootkit" DRM

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 07:48:54 EST

On Monday 14 November 2005 21:59, Ken Elliott wrote:
> >> A person of not low stature when it comes to thorough research data,
> >> told
>
> me that SONY actually stands for Standard Oil New York.
>
> Well, Mr. Akio Morita - the founder of Sony - wrote that he wanted to name
> the company with a variation of Sonus (the latin word for sound) and picked
> sonny. Later, he found that the word had an english meaning, so he dropped
> one of the 'n's.
>
> From http://www.nndb.com/people/384/000094102/
>
> "With Masaru Ibuka he co-founded Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo K.K. in 1946, which
> changed name to Sony (derived from the Latin word for "sound") in 1958. In
> order to enhance international sales, at this time the company took the
> unprecedented move to spell its name in Katakana, the alphabet used in
> Japan to transliterate foreign words"

That sounds plausible. Then looking at the covert activities of these cats
it's clear that one cannot however rule it out just because he said so. It's
a good story and likely to be true.

For starters I'd like to compare the activities of Tokyo Tsushin Kogyo K.K
prior to see if there was a change in business ethics. Which of course could
only indicate that a change had occurred.

Since silent partners are commonplace we have no way of telling. I find it an
interesting puzzle to try to resolve.

Thanks for the links guys!

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.