Re: [SLUG] Virus now using Sony's "rootkit" DRM

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 09:01:26 EST

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 08:18, Bob Foxworth wrote:
> Obscure trivia dept:
>
> When you look atr a Sony product and carefully
> examine the four letters that make up the name,
> you can see that the first two "SO" are not exactly
> the same height as the "NY" The difference is
> only a few percent. Without having an example
> handy (doing this from memory) I think the "SO"
> are the taller letters.
>
> I don't know why. Perhaps it is related to the
> katakana explanation as each syllable could be
> in theory rendered by a character. Maybe it was
> a way to trap unwary counterfeiters, with less
> attention to detail than they should have.

Actually a common trait in many serif fonts is that circular letters like S
and O are a bit taller as it rounds off the letter. As is G, C and Q.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.