Re: [SLUG] Sony-BM Rootkit:

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 09:25:59 EST

On Sunday 13 November 2005 01:08 pm, Bill Shaw wrote:
> > One or two of the news sites was reporting that not only was there a root
> > kit for MS Windows but also one for Apple.
> >
> > If I recall correctly Apple's new OS is a BSD derivative.
> >
> > Assuming that the previous statement is true could someone in very simple
> > terms [10 words or less] explain how Sony can reliability install a root
> > kit in a BSD system without root privileges? I thought [absence some
> > configuration failure of coding failure which Sony could not rely on to
> > limit music playing] that this was completely 100% impossible.
> >
> > Frank
>
> Based on this you do get prompted for you username/password:
>
> http://www.macintouch.com/#tip.2005.11.10.sony
>
> I recently purchased Imogen Heap's new CD (Speak for Yourself), an RCA
> Victor release, but with distribution credited to Sony/BMG. Reading
> recent reports of a Sony rootkit, I decided to poke around. In
> addition to the standard volume for AIFF files, there's a smaller
> extra partition for "enhanced" content. I was surprised to find a
> "Start.app" Mac application in addition to the expected
> Windows-related files. Running this app brings up a long legal
> agreement, clicking Continue prompts you for your username/password
> (uh-oh!), and then promptly exits. Digging around a bit, I find that
> Start.app actually installs 2 files: PhoenixNub1.kext and
> PhoenixNub12.kext.
> Personally, I'm not a big fan of anyone installing kernel extensions
> on my Mac. In Sony's defense, upon closer reading of the EULA, they
> essentially tell you that they will be installing software. Also, this
> is apparently not the same technology used in the recent Windows
> rootkits (made by XCP), but rather a DRM codebase developed by
> SunnComm, who promotes their Mac-aware DRM technology on their site.

When I posted the original post I assume few people would have real interest
in one aspect and a lot of interest in another.

>From what I am reading this is still growing. It now not accopmlishes simply
Sony but other veddors too. Also it now has passed way beyond music.

Slash dopt appears to be runnind several days behind Gorklaw thys for complete
details and discussion especially the latter I recomond Groklaw as a place to
start.

http://www.groklaw.net/

Frank