Re: [SLUG] Fedora, OpenSuSE, & Mandrake.

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 08:40:10 EST

<200511150919.31592.sotl155360@earthlink.net>, sotl155360@earthlink.net

sotl155360@earthlink.net

>> wrote:
>> > Question:
>> >
>> > Hardware aside which would be in the group opinion the easiest to
set

>> up?
>> SUSE 10.0
>>
>> > I ask this question since it appears that I can not download
Fedora 4

>> CDs as
>>
>> > each time I attempt to do so the download crashes half way
through

>> both disk
>>
>> > 1 and disk 2. I have not had this issue with OpenSuSE downloads
which

>> I was
>>
>> > running on the same box at the same time. We have a T1 line.
>>
>> Fact #1
>>
>> > I also attempted to install the Fedora on my test computer and
>>
>> received
>>
>> > numerous messages that hardware was not found. I followed this up
by

>> > installing OpenSuSE again just to check out the installation
>>
>> process.
>> Fact #2
>>
>> > Factual, informative comments would be appreciated.
>>
>> FTP is usually the worst as far as hacks are concerned and with
SUSE
>> 10.0 you have AppArmor "lite" that will allow you to profile the
FTP
>> daemon and prevent any hacks from occuring.
>>
>> You stated the facts above #1- unable to download fedora and #2-
unable
>> to install fedora. With the ability to contain application
>> vulnerabilities simply and easily, I think you answered your own
>> question.
>>
>> JP
>
> For Fedora $
> 1. I am attempting to download CDs for installation in a 500M Hz
small
> [physicall] computer whose MB and bios refuse to accept a DVD
reader.

> 2. I have a copy of Fedora 4 in DVD format which I attempted to
install in
> my
> test computer which has a DVD reader in it.
>
> As far as downloads I am having a bitch of a time downloading
OpenSuSE 10.0;

> their ftp site is running very slow these days. I am getting no where
near
> the transfer rate I was getting 4 weeks ago.
>
> As for Mandriva 10.0 I don't have a clue what the new download site
is yet.
> It
> was changed in the last month from Mandrake to Mandriva but that name
change

> wasn't all of it. Unfortunately 1/2 their websites links still refer
to the
> old Mandrake sites. Do work a request for this information is
currently
> being
> posted to the Mandrake BB.
>
> SOTL

I don't have the dvd version handy...but could get it..I have all the
cd's on my laptop...I'd put them on my web server but I only have 384
up...( I have 5mb verified down)...any suggestions...I'm open. Happy to
post them somewhere.

JP