Re: [SLUG] linux / windows

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 12:44:20 EST

> I had such problems with my first distro (Knoppix,
> install was easy, maintaining it became a nightmare)
> that I had an IT friend come over and help me install
> Ubuntu (after three tries alone) He was here for four
> hours straightening out issues with hardware and at
> the end of it he was laughing hysterically and saying
> "are you sure Linux isn't ready for primetime?" Four
> weeks into my Ubuntu experience apt-get started
> spewing out LOCALE errors and other issues arose. I
> posted the errors on four forums and this list and
> received no helpful answers. (On the Ubuntu forums
> there were a number of us screaming politely for help)
> Now I am trying to decide whether to install SUSE
> after a different local Linux IT guy failed after 14
> hours of effort to get Debian to install and work. In
> spite of being an enthusiastic computer user who is
> not afraid of the command line I have to say I would
> not be using Linux if I did not enjoy how bizarre this
> experience has been. I can show people the cool
> features of my desk top, convince them that free and
> free of spyware and viruses is good, I can teach them
> to prefer the gimp to photoshop but if I can't even
> (with help) get one stable distro running on my
> computer, why would they want it?

I have at various times installed SUSE 8.0 PRO-8.2 PRO-9.1 PRO-9.3 PRO
and 10.0. They all have been easier installs than XP PRO.
The only really serious problem has been with a mother board that had no
legacy. It had only firewire and USB ports. After we had installed 8.0, and
did the final boot it didn't see the USB keybord or the USB mouse. After
about a 1/2 hour look at the SUSE Knowledge Base I found that the answer
was slowing down the USB startup.
SUSE 10.0 has been a very easy and fast install 32 Bit.
I don't have a 64 bit machine to try it on.
They update very often. There is a SUSEWatcher tray icon that will popup
a little balloon saying that updates are availible. This is in user mode.
You click on the icon to get the updates and it will ask for your root
password. It will start YAST and show you what they are. You can decline an
update you don't want-then say accept the the ones you want. It will then
download and install the patches or altogether new versions of things like
Firefox.
I think a Novice who is just installing 1 OS in a computer would find that
SUSE 10.0 is easier to install than XP PRO.
If you count the time to install aps in XP PRO the install time for SUSE 10.0
is insignificant.
There is a page to check compatibility with WINE. Photshop should run in WINE
along with all the Office Suite.
SUSE has all the programming stuff you could want.
With the same hardware as SUSE has updated, it has gotten smoother and faster.
Some one else was talking about difficulty down loading 10.0. Go to
opensuse.org-look at the mirror list-if the one you start on is real slow go
to another. The gatech mirror gave me a pretty constant 500k download.

                                Richard Smoot