Re: [SLUG] Sony-BM Rootkit:

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 17:50:02 EST

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 09:48 am, Eben King wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, SOTL wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 November 2005 01:10 pm, Paul M Foster wrote:
> > > We discussed this at the Dunedin meeting, but let's be more precise
> > > about the setup in asking the question. Let's assume the computer is
> > > connected to the internet via a firewall. Let's assume there are no
> > > other users on the local LAN where the machine lives, and 0% likelihood
> > > that some local user would exploit a software security flaw. Let's
> > > assume the usual complement of services running on the box, like an
> > > MTA, init, perhaps a SQL database server, cron, portmapper, etc.-- the
> > > usual things a user would have running privileged on their computer.
> > > And let's assume that the user, in conducting day-to-day activities, is
> > > running as an unprivileged user. And in answering the question, assume
> > > one of two scenarios: the firewall is not advertising to the internet
> > > anything other than perhaps the SSH port, or the firewall is presenting
> > > an HTTP port, SSH port and an FTP port. You can assume the user is
> > > actively working on the machine, or away from the box.
> > >
> > > The question is: under either one of these scenarios, could a serious
> > > hacker install a rootkit, and how?
> >
> > Play a Sony music CD.
>
> That wouldn't be Joe Malcontent doing it, that would be Sony doing it.
> Actually that would be _you_ installing Sony's rootkit.

Actually I thought it was completely impossible as a user to put a CD in the
computer, hit play, and install a root kit but as I continue to read and
thanks to Paul missunderstanding what I was really asking [my fault for not
expressing myself well] has shown that users CAN do this on a McIntosh which
has a BSD system. Apparently Sony has caught everybody with their pants down
as NO ONE expected a major company to ship CDs with root kits on them so not
only can root kits be installed on MS Windows by playing music but also on
Linus and BSD boxes too.

If I understand all this correct Linux and BSD both have a major security
issue with CD and DVD drives.

SOTL