Re: [SLUG] Windon't Q's.

From: Mark Polhamus (meplists@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 00:53:36 EST

michael hast wrote:
> I know. OT. But, most of you know more about Windblows than I do
> too. I've read somewhere that you can control a Winder's box through
> vnc on a Linux box. I am interested in trying. Anybody know how? Do I
> have to download something, or what? Do I have to use a name for my
> Linux box, or can I just use the IP somehow? Aaaarrrggghhh! Too many
> questions!

Unsecured VNC on your local LAN is simple. I recommend the TightVNC flavor
<http://www.tightvnc.com/>. Yes you can use the IP address. Mostly it works
well but sometimes the redrawing isn't perfect.

Doing it securely over the Internet where both PCs are behind network address
translation (NAT) and firewalls (the usual case) is more complicated.

Here's the basic idea behind the solution I've been using to provide VNC
support to customers (Kudos to the author Stefano Coletta):

http://www.mindcreations.com/projects/manuals/helpdesk/helpdesk.php.

Requires a third computer with a static IP, no NAT.

It's a cross-platform solution, any combination of Windows/Linux/whatever is
supported if they can run ssh with tunneling and VNC. I use PuTTY's command
line ssh client "plink" under Windows.

I think it is also the basic idea behind Fog Creek's Copilot (pay) service,
see https://www.copilot.com/tech/ (you can get the source code for their VNC
modifications, they use a proprietary "reflector").

Here are some other links about VNC over ssh:

http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/VNC/vnc-over-ssh.html
http://www.trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/vnc_ssh.shtml

-- Mark Polhamus