Re: [SLUG] PDA phones

From: Pete S. (linux@myraandpete.net)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 11:33:08 EST

Only one I am aware of is the Symbian OS. I went with Palm, but friends
of mine who have the Symbian phones are very happy. Poke around their
website http://www.symbian.com/phones/index.html

Essentially, the phone you choose must be compatible with the network
you choose. Frustration that I see is that if you have a particular
service/contract, they may not be compatible with the phone you want.
Some phones may even have different chip sets. Palm 650 has three (that
I am aware of). One is for Sprint, one is for Cingular, and another is
unlocked. Keep this in mind as you search for a phone. The one you
choose might not work with your service provider. Sybian OS will
support both GSM & CDMA. A phone you might want to research is
http://www.symbian.com/phones/nokia_e61.html though this phone is not
yet available (operates in GSM850/900/1800/1900 and WCDMA2100
networks). Nokia 7710, and 9xxx series both look like more options... &
Sony Ericsson P900. All look like cool PDA phones that I would like to
take for a spin.

Another link to poke at is http://symbianos.org/~malm/SymbianLinuxHowTo.html

When calling my cell phone service provider to find out if my 'unlocked'
phone would be compatible with their service (with model # in hand), the
tech person I talked to did not even know what an 'unlocked' phone was.
Pete