Re: [SLUG] Mail Transfer Agents

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 10:47:56 EST

<20051120150954.GI1758@quillandmouse.com>, paulf@quillandmouse.com
wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 05:06:20AM - 0500, Sick Twist wrote:
>
>> I appreciate all of the replies!
>>
>> Paul mentioned that Exim is Debian's prefered MTA. Is that due to
its
>> license (Exim is under the GPL while Postfix is under the IBM Public
License
>> 1.0) or because of technical merit?
>
> Postfix is included with Debian as well, so I doubt it's the license.
> suspect the Debian engineers think it's easier to configure. I happen
> disagree, but that's just me.
>
> Paul

For what it's worth...qmail, sendmail, postfix, etc are all way too
much of a pain to setup and operate - YES, I've set them all up and have
run them all in some form or fashion. Bias aside..I've been using
hula...simple and it just works. If you want something that does it
all...gmail and there is no setup on your part unless you want to fetch
it and post it local which is cool.

BTW...for the person who mentioned being scared of sending credentials
in plain text. You must be a recent email user and you would be
surprised what else you send in the clear that you don't know about. So
don't bother with that "excuse".

JP