Re: [SLUG] PDA phones

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sun Nov 20 2005 - 13:24:39 EST

John Pugh wrote:

>>>On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 11:57 am, in message
>>>

><4380AAE9.2080708@cox.net>,
>evylrobot19@cox.net wrote:
>

>> Thanks, Unc. Okay, guys, let ma rephrase my question. I may be
>>

>>interested in a PDA phone. I don't want pocket windows. I
>>

>understand
>

>>that there are Linux distrobutions that are intended to run on a PDA.

>>was wondering if anyone has any experience in this avenue? If I were

>>do such a thing, could I make it still work as a phone? If nobody
>>knows, that's fine. I'm just tired of the debate on the quality of
>>service. Such an arguement is regionally subjective. Indeed, my
>>neighbor may get superior service from his house with the same
>>providor. I don't think that the service comparisons from FLORIDA
>>

>are
>

>>going to help me much here. Thanks again.
>>
>>./Michael
>>

>Hey ./Michael...
>
>Yes...your mileage will vary with Linux and PDAs/SmartPhones. I
>personally use the Treo 650 with the stock cingular palm os and it works
>perfectly for me! I back it up to SUSE Linux 10.0 via bluetooth, but
>other than that...I do everything via GPRS/Edge - collaboration (both
>personal and corp), driving directions, personal blog, etc
>
>Of course, you COULD continue waiting for the Linux version of the palm
>os - code named cobalt..but with the recent happenings with
>Palmsource...I doubt it will happen anytime soon in the US.
>However...you have this
>article...http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5058819583.html .
>And...there is symbian which in itself has a lot of drawbacks...
>
>Personally...unless you enjoy carrying a brick...stick with the base
>NON-windows OS in the Treo 650 and enjoy it during it's short lifetime
>because Moore's law will undoubtedly put it out of existence within 18
>months (that's pushing the envelope pretty hard).
>
>JP
>
>Remember...it's all about I and not I.

Thank you, Yeah. I have been leaning in the direction of the 650, but
it is so expensive! The Hitachi G1000 has a faster processor and a
bigger screen, and can be gotten for a lot less, but it is Windows
operated. Ugh!!! I may have to just save up my pennies, bite the
bullet and get the 650 or wait for the next one. Oh, well. Thank you,
though.