Re: [SLUG] Suncoast LUG Meetings

From: Anthony DiPierro (slug@inbox.org)
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 12:50:26 EST

On 11/30/05, petetheisen <petetheisen@verizon.net> wrote:
> paulf wrote:
> > *************************************
> > * Suncoast Linux Users Group (SLUG) *
> > * Meeting Schedule *
> > *************************************
> <snip>
> > SARASOTA/BRADENTON ***************************************
> >
> > 20 December 18:00-21:00 Sarasota
> > (third Tuesday of each month)
> >
> > Sarasota Commerce Center II
> > Conference Room, left inside main entrance
> > 101 Arthur Anderson Pkwy
> > Sarasota, FL 34232
> >
> > See http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=101+Arthur+Anderson+Parkway,+Sarasota,+FL+34232
> > for a map.
>
> Hi Everybody!
>
> I have the air card + Verizon national service working on Linux. I still
> haven't got the output to the hub, but it is a couple of weeks yet. Of
> course it is really, really slow. :-(
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete

If you're talking about the EVDO card, I couldn't get this working
with Linux on my laptop (or my iPaq 3650 PDA running Linux which is
what I'd really like to get the card working on eventually). I
haven't spent a whole lot of time on this yet, though. Any pointers
you can give would be greatly appreciated, especially if you can think
of any way to get it working with the iPaq. I've considered
reinstalling Wince just so I can take advantage of the Verizon card.

I'm not sure right now which model I have. The speed is decent and
the coverage is good. At one point I rode from Tampa (by the airport)
to Safety Harbor with an SSH connection which managed to stay up the
whole way. I found that somewhat surprising, as I assumed I'd lose my
IP address or something and have to reconnect every time I changed
towers. Ping times suck, of course, ssh isn't the best application
for this, though it does work.

All of this was on Windows - so far I haven't gotten the thing working
with Linux. It's somewhat of a catch-22 wrt my laptop, as I'm not
going to install Linux on the laptop until I get the EVDO card
working, and I won't be able to get the EVDO card working until I
install Linux on the laptop. I tried a few live-CD installs, none of
them had the drivers and most of them seemed to crash on startup and
not work with my laptop at all (might have been a bad CD-R though).

Sarasota is too far for me to make it to the meeting. Hopefully
someone will send out an email with any interesting revelations!

Anthony