[SLUG] unusual output from lshw

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 23:01:12 EST

One of the recent commands that I have discovered is lshw. It is used to
obtain detailed information about all of the hardware in a computer. I have
been using it on various Linux boxen and this is the (abridged) output from
one of them:

*-cpu
     product: Pentium III (Coppermine)
     vendor: Intel Corp.
     physical id: 4
     bus info: cpu@0
     version: 6.8.6
     slot: J1
     size: 850MHz
     capacity: 850MHz
     width: 32 bits
     clock: 100MHz
     capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep
mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
   *-cache:0
        physical id: 5
        size: 32KB
        capacity: 32KB
        capabilities: internal varies
   *-cache:1
        physical id: 6
        size: 256KB
        capacity: 256KB
        capabilities: pipeline-burst synchronous internal varies
*-memory
     physical id: c
     slot: System board or motherboard
     size: 384MB
     capacity: 512MB
   *-bank:0
        physical id: 0
        slot: DIMM1
        size: 256MB
        width: 64 bits
        clock: 100MHz (10ns)
   *-bank:1
        physical id: 1
        slot: DIMM2
        size: 128MB
        width: 64 bits
        clock: 66MHz (15.1515ns)

The processor information says that the FSB is running at 100 MHz. The stick
of RAM in bank 0 is also running at 100 MHz. However, according to lshw the
RAM in bank 1 is running at 66 MHz. When I first saw this I figured that the
incorrect type of RAM was installed. Although when I opened up the case, I
saw that both sticks were labeled SDRAM PC-100.

I tried switching the position of the sticks but the 128MB stick still
reports 66 MHz. I also tried running the 128MB stick by itself--same result.
Finally, I removed the 128MB stick and replaced it with a 64 MB stick that
was also labeled SDRAM PC-100. lshw returned a number between 66MHz and
100Mhz (around 90Mhz I think, can't remember exactly) for this other stick.

Could this be a bug with lshw or the sign of a problem with the hardware?
For what it's worth, I have never noticed the computer running strangely. I
am just curious about the numbers that I am seeing.

-Jonathon