Re: [SLUG] Fire Fox 1.5

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Sat Dec 03 2005 - 04:06:59 EST

On Friday 02 December 2005 18:40, Chuck Hast wrote:
> On 12/2/05, Sick Twist <thesicktwist@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > >From: Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>
> > >To: slug@nks.net
> > >Subject: Re: [SLUG] Fire Fox 1.5
> > >Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:56:41 -0500 (EST)
> > >
> > >Run 'vmstat 5' in an xterm or similar, then keep an eye on it
> > >(particularly the 'si' ('swap in') and 'so' ('swap out') columns) while
> > > you do stuff. A long run of double-digit numbers means you don't have
> > > enough RAM for what you're doing.
> > >
> > >--
> > >-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm
> >
> > Ooo, very interesting. You taught me a new command today :)
>
> Yes, I have not seen that one in the books I have, got any more??
>

> --
> Chuck Hast
> To paraphrase my flight instructor;
> "the only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask resulting in my going
> out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of torn
> and twisted metal."

When I find a neat command I do this in rpm:
$ which <command>
$ rpm -qf /place/that/you/got/above
$ rpm -qi <package_from_above>

Here's the result...

Name : procps Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version : 3.2.3 Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release : 5.3 Build Date: Mon 11 Jul 2005
06:04:19
 AM EDT
Install Date: Fri 22 Jul 2005 11:15:22 AM EDT Build Host:
porky.build.redha
t.com
Group : Applications/System Source RPM:
procps-3.2.3-5.3.src.rpm
Size : 320247 License: GPL
Signature : DSA/SHA1, Mon 11 Jul 2005 04:29:39 PM EDT, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2
Packager : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Description :
The procps package contains a set of system utilities that provide
system information. Procps includes ps, free, skill, snice, tload,
top, uptime, vmstat, w, and watch. The ps command displays a snapshot
of running processes. The top command provides a repetitive update of
the statuses of running processes. The free command displays the
amounts of free and used memory on your system. The skill command
sends a terminate command (or another specified signal) to a specified
set of processes. The snice command is used to change the scheduling
priority of specified processes. The tload command prints a graph of
the current system load average to a specified tty. The uptime command
displays the current time, how long the system has been running, how
many users are logged on, and system load averages for the past one,
five, and fifteen minutes. The w command displays a list of the users
who are currently logged on and what they are running. The watch
program watches a running program. The vmstat command displays virtual
memory statistics about processes, memory, paging, block I/O, traps,
and CPU activity.