RE: [SLUG] Real OSes

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 10:33:03 EST

>>I dont want to get into this as i really dont care for all this windows vs
linux crap as i belive it all chilidish BS.

Agreed. All OS's have their strengths and weaknesses. To slam one doesn't
really get us anywhere, and is an unproductive use of bandwidth.

I use both Win2K, FC3, Suse and Debian, so I'm a bit agnostic as far as the
OS is concerned. It all boils down to this: What problem are you trying to
solve, and what tool will you use? Pick an OS that makes sense for that
solution.

For Solidworks/Photoshop/InDesign/Acrobat/Dreamweaver/Video editing - I use
Win2K (no XP, thank you). It's quite stable on _my_ hardware and my
drivers. No crashes or funny issues in the last couple of years. If it's
crashing on you, perhaps you need to seek the services of an expert. NT and
W2K actually work rather well on good hardware and good drivers. Yes, it
has security holes (as do many OS's) but its actually pretty decent stuff it
you set it up correctly. I have no spyware/adware/virus problems, and it's
stable.

For Publishing industry - Mac OS/X. Mainly, because your coworkers will
constantly rip on you for using anything else...<grin>

For Apache/PHP/MySQL - I use Linux. Rock solid and plenty extendable.

For Servers - Linux or BSD.

For playing around/hobby - Linux. I can try different apps, languages, and
all the new/cool stuff without spending a penny. Doing the same on Win/OS-X
will cost you cash. The point that started this thread.

For the OS junkie who doesn't need a specific app, I strongly suggest BSD.
It lets you thumb your nose at all those Linux guys...<grin>

And of course, there's FORTH. Who needs a stinkin OS?

Ken Elliott