Re: [SLUG] / /etc and /var owned by hplip

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 14:44:58 EST

>From: Daniel Jarboe <daniel.jarboe@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] / /etc and /var owned by hplip
>Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 07:21:03 -0500
>
>Yes, chown root.root / /etc /var
>
>If the HP driver installer did this, it is wrong. If your print
>breaks when you correct the ownership, you know how you can get it
>working again in a pinch.
>
>You might also want to do a find / -user hplip -group hplip
>Certain directories could be considered, but /, /etc, and /var are not
>among them
>
>If this was a verified dpkg or rpm file from a "reliable" source, then
>yes, probably a (surprising) bug with the way the driver was packaged.
> If this is a ./configure;make;make install deal, I'm curious if you
>provided some ./configure flags incorrectly. Where'd you get the
>install package/source?
>
>The ownership is not necessarily evidence of a crack attempt, but if
>there is something exploitable in a process running with that userid,
>the attacker now has write access to /, /etc, and /var.
>
>~ Daniel

The box is running Ubuntu Breezy and the packages came from the official
repository. However, the system was upgraded from Hoary so I guess it would
be difficult to isolate the point and package that this made this
alteration.

jconte@naja:~$ apt-cache search ^hplip
hplip-base - HP Linux Printing and Imaging System - base system
hplip-data - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - data files
hplip-ppds - HP Linux Printing and Imaging - PPD files
hplip - HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (hplip) - GUI

Only hplip-base, hplip-data, and hplip-ppds are currently installed. These
other directories are owned by hplip as well:

jconte@naja:~$ sudo find / -user hplip -type d -exec ls -ld '{}' ';'
drwxr-xr-x 2 hplip lp 48 2005-05-14 15:55 /etc/ptal
drwxr-xr-x 17 hplip lp 696 2005-12-07 00:24 /var/run
drwxr-xr-x 2 hplip root 176 2005-12-02 22:22 /var/run/hplip
drwxr-xr-x 2 hplip lp 48 2005-08-05 19:53 /var/run/ptal-mlcd
drwxr-xr-x 2 hplip lp 48 2005-08-05 19:53 /var/run/ptal-printd

My guess is that /var/run should be owned by root as well. The other
directories look OK. Funny thing is that /etc/ptal is empty:

jconte@naja:~$ ls -lA /etc/ptal
total 0

I guess I'll revert the owner and group for /, /etc, /var, and /var/run.
-Jonathon