Re: [SLUG] Apache is driving me nuts

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 15:08:07 EST

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:17 -0500, Ben Ostrowsky wrote:
> Yarrr... 'tis driving me nuts.
>
> I can't figure out why Apache apparently has permission to show one
> favicon.ico file but not another:
>
> Works fine: http://www2.tblc.org/favicon.ico
> Doesn't work: http://www2.tblc.org/barcodes/favicon.ico
>
> Permissions:
> # ls -l favicon.ico
> -rw-r--r-- 1 apache root 3774 Feb 7 2003 favicon.ico
> # ls -l barcodes/favicon.ico
> -rw-r--r-- 1 apache root 318 Dec 7 09:08 barcodes/favicon.ico
> # ls -l | grep barcodes
> drwxr-xr-x 3 apache root 4096 Dec 7 09:09 barcodes
>
> Log entry:
> [Wed Dec 07 13:10:35 2005] [error] [client 64.128.136.8] (13)Permission
> denied: access to /barcodes/favicon.ico denied
>
> I assume there's something royally weird in my httpd.conf, which is probably
> too long to quote here. What should I be looking for? (And is there a good
> way to display an httpd.conf file without comments, with sections indented,
> so that it's easy to see if I've got a structural problem?)
>
> Ben

A very elementary thought but....you don't have a top level (tblc.org/)
or directory level (barcodes) .htaccess file that's preventing access do
you? There's also a httpd.conf equivalent of this but I don't remember
what it is. The behavior of being able to see the index page of
barcodes but not access a file in it directly is exactly what I set up
on one of our sites with an .htaccess file.

Mike Branda Jr.