[SLUG] A possible breakthrough (was: Apache is driving me nuts)

From: Ben Ostrowsky (ostrowb@tblc.org)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 09:10:14 EST

> As eben was suggesting, try copying a file to /barcodes and verify that
you can see it from apache.

Wow. I can't figure out why, but this has yielded some interesting results.

(Pathnames are relative to /var/www/html.)
I renamed /barcodes/favicon.ico to /barcodes/barcodes.ico.
I copied /favicon.ico to /barcodes/favicon.ico.
Now I can access /barcodes/favicon.ico.

So there's something about this .ico file (which I created using a web
application and had emailed to me) that is causing a problem.

WAAAAIT a minute... I used tar zcvf on the old web server and tar zxvf on
the new web server to transport the web directory.

AAAND... We've had problems with "smart quotes" suddenly being turned into
junk characters. (Never mind that I consider them junk characters to begin
with.)

AAAND... Using scp to transfer a single file from one cgi-bin directory to
another seems to have solved another problem.

So I think maybe I've been doing something wrong in transporting these
files.

Should I just do a "scp -r" to move the web files from the old server to the
new, and then chown it all properly? (Since UIDs aren't the same on the new
server.)

Ben