Re: [SLUG] Need New Commercial ISP for Clearwater

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 17:03:28 EST

On Thursday 08 December 2005 13:47, Eben King wrote:
> > You can get fancy and add the play command to have your firewall announce
> > such changes verbally.
>
> The control freak in me got tired of being in the dark and compiled
> festival and wrote a script called "say", so I could do something like "say
> Cable is down, switching to DSL.". Looks like I could call "say" from
> other machines on the LAN, too:
>
> tcp 0 0 *:1314 *:* LISTEN 476/festival

Cool!

> (Don't bother trying it from outside; my LAN is NATted.)
>
> Hey, what happens if they _both_ go down? Primary is DSL (regardless of
> its status) until cable comes back up? Or has DSL ever gone down?

You don't have a connection. Of course you could always have another
alternative. But I've never been in a situation where both where down at the
same time.

It's a matter of how much money is it worth. Having both cable and DSL in not
that much money so for the business that's acceptable.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.