RE: [SLUG] older computers

From: Ken Elliott (kelliott4@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 07:27:45 EST

>>The point is that one of the best things about Linux from an ecological /
economical point of view is that old stuff does not get tossed, and that you
can get a working system you can use cheaply for those who are financially
challenged.

A very good point. But I should also point out that the other point is
equally valid, and we should respect the personal choices made by someone
that takes a different position from us.

Installing a basic Debian system with a browser, and giving it to someone on
limited funds makes a nice gift, and makes the giver feel a tiny bit better
about himself. My mother is on a 586 laptop, running Debian and can access
her gmail account nicely. If it blows up, no biggie. All her mail is on
gmail, so there's nothing to backup. And she gets the biggest kick out of
telling IT guys she's running Linux.

Knoppix live cds work well, and you don't even need a working HDD. No virus
or rootkit issues, either.

Yes, it is a poor choice from a time+effort vs. cost standpoint to do a
complete install, assuming you are time constrained (we all _believe_ we
are). But if all you do is burn a Knoppix CD, and see if it boots, then
give it to a kid without a computer, the sun will shine a little longer.

When I was in cash>time-mode, I bought Mom a computer. When I was in
cash<time-mode, I recycled.

Ken Elliott
...working on getting to c>t mode...