Re: [SLUG] Konsole stuff

From: Kwan Lowe (kwan@digitalhermit.com)
Date: Sat Dec 10 2005 - 23:36:01 EST

>> How, after, I do a "man" and the screen is filled with that info, do I
>> return to my terminal window? I always end up starting a new session.
>
> I just press the "q" key. (for quit)
>
>> Also, when I run a command that prints many screens of info you cannot
>> get back to the early info and/or input command. Yes, you can scroll
>> back but it only goes so far, leaving the earlier info hidden.

You can use the "script" command to save output from a session. Type "script" then
run the command. Once you've finished, type "exit". The output will be saved in a
file called "typescript".

> In LINUX, not the X windows system, I press the "up" cursor key until
> I get to the command I want to revisit then I press enter.

If you're using bash, then you can type Ctrl-R to search the command history. E.g.,
CTRL-R then type a few letters in the command you want to recall. Subsequent CTRL-Rs
will cycle through all commands that match.

If you set your terminal to vi mode (set -o vi), you can search the command history
with "ESC" "/" "[your search string]".

--
* The Digital Hermit   http://www.digitalhermit.com
* Unix and Linux Solutions   kwan@digitalhermit.com