Re: [SLUG] OT: SuSE 10.0 Santa & Penguins

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 13:15:44 EST

On Sunday 11 December 2005 11:37 am, Robin 'Roblimo' Miller wrote:
> >> Anyway the last installation of SuSE the installation screen was the
> >> standard SuSE installation screen that one normally gets. This time it
> >> being only 2 weeks or so before Christmas the installation screen is
> >> this cute display of penguins, slays with Santa Clause.. It is almost
> >> worth starting the installation over to watch the show again.
> >>
> >> SOTL
> >
> > I do not know where the killing came from it certainly was not my intent
> > what I meant was sledding as in snow sled..
>
> Oh, you SLAY me... anyway, I've been messing with openSUSE for the last
> month, not entirely satisfied, now playing with Mandriva. My
> more-or-less annual "try all major distros" thing. Results in another
> month or so.
>
> - Robin

If you are evaluating OpenSuSE please be advised that I have a newer computer
that OpenSuSE 10.0 will install perfectly in and work correctly. The computer
I was attempting to install in when Santa's sled and the Penguins appeared is
an older computer that originall had MS 98 installed on a 2 GB HD. I replaced
the 2 GB HD with a 175 GB [cheapest thing I could find over 50 GB}.

I then discovered that the CD read/writer would not allow installation. That
CD was replaced with a DVD reader and CD read/writer. The bios promply
chocked on this so a replacement with a different CD read/writer was made.
That CD read/writer then allowed me to install Open Mandriva 2006. OpenSuSE,
and Mandrake 9.2. My 10.1 Mandrake is on DVD so I was not able to attempt
installation as DVD will not read on THAT computer due to bios. All the
Fedoras I have are DVD so Fedora is out for that computer. So this is not an
evaluation of the latest systems. It is an evaluation of installing a system
in an older computer that will be used as a MySQL server.

Top place so far goes to Mandrake 9.2 simply because 1) it will install, 2) I
am more familiar.wit it than SuSE, and 3) it evades that damn SuSE set up
program. Others on this BB will get different results as they have greater
knowledge and are more familiar with other installation procedures.

SOTL