Re: [SLUG] OT: SuSE 10.0 Santa & Penguins

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 09:33:57 EST

On Sunday 11 December 2005 01:41 pm, jeff wrote:
> On Sunday 11 December 2005 01:15 pm, SOTL wrote:
> > I then discovered that the CD read/writer would not allow installation.
> > That CD was replaced with a DVD reader and CD read/writer. The bios
> > promply chocked on this so a replacement with a different CD read/writer
> > was made. That CD read/writer then allowed me to install Open Mandriva
> > 2006. OpenSuSE, and Mandrake 9.2. My 10.1 Mandrake is on DVD so I was not
> > able to attempt installation as DVD will not read on THAT computer due to
> > bios. All the Fedoras I have are DVD so Fedora is out for that computer.
> > So this is not an evaluation of the latest systems. It is an evaluation
> > of installing a system in an older computer that will be used as a MySQL
> > server.
> >
> > Top place so far goes to Mandrake 9.2 simply because 1) it will install,
> > 2) I am more familiar.wit it than SuSE, and 3) it evades that damn SuSE
> > set up program. Others on this BB will get different results as they have
> > greater knowledge and are more familiar with other installation
> > procedures.
>
> Just curious, but if all you wanted was a MySQL server, why not try Debian?

!) I do not have a copy of Debian.
2) Debian is hard to install.
3) I have copies of Mandrake 9.1, 9.2, 10.1, SuSE 8.2, 9.1, and 10.0
4.) It takes hours to download a distribution so why should I spend hours
downloading something that is hard to setup when I already have an equivalent
program that is easy to set up and all I have to do is plop the old CD in the
CD reader and install.

But!

And here is the real reason I had no idea if the equipment was operational or
not. The computer was an unknown to me. So by using CD that are known to me
to work I loose one potential problem area.

If you have ever tried to install a distribution of Linux you are unfamiliar
with, which in the past has given you problems, with NO specifications on the
equipment, and with equipment that you do not have the slightest idea of will
work or not, and whose current operating system [Win 98] refuses to go on
line so you that you have NO faith in the functionality of the equipment and
had major issue then at that point you will really understand why.