Re: [SLUG] Computer noise and Tinnitus

From: Bob Foxworth (rfoxwor1@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 21:43:07 EST

> > Mine is more of a high-pitched whine. A constant sine wave tone of
> > ~10000hz or so (crazy, but true).
> >
> > Thankfully, my brain usually filters it out as background noise
unless I
> > think about it.

That is the typical complaint.

I have a mild form of this, I suspect from long-ago
days spent operating morse code as a ham, and
wearing headphones. I just notice it late at night
when it is otherwise quiet. I have always thought
it was due to damage to the middle ear. And I
think that nerve deafness is related to this. This
is when you have hearing loss at certain frequencies
and cannot distinguish letters like e,d,t,v,z,b in a
noisy background such as a restaurant with
acoustically reflective walls.

I suspect all the kids now using the walkman type
CD players with the high energy samarium-cobalt
headphones will start presenting with these
symptoms in a few more years. I think it is
like mesothelioma, it takes a couple of decades for the
problems to start showing up. One of the big
un-reported health issues of this decade, those
high power headset radios..

> > After the TinnitusTamer sessions, I can't hear it for a while, even
if I
> > try to.

What is this? I'd like to try it.

> Mine is "wide band" sounds like a hiss like a gas leak, it peaks at
about
> 4k8 Hz. It is just there. I have learned to not let it bother me
though I would
> like for it to go away

Did you write this in the British fashion and mean to say 4800 Hz?

- Bob