Re: [SLUG] quoting

From: Dylan Hardison (dylanwh@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 18 2005 - 20:09:56 EST

2005/12/18, Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com>:

> > > Boy, that was korny.
> >
> > Eben,
> >
> > Our friend Dylan here, in his introduction at the Tampa SLUG meeting,
> > boasted with great pride of having developed a programming language
> > similar to Homespring which uses the model of squirrels and trees.
> > See Dylan's meeting minutes in
> > <http://slug.archives.nks.net/List/slug.archive.0512/0330.html>.
>
> Ah. I should have said "that was nutty" then.
>
> "During my introduction, I mentioned something about a language based on the
> movement of squirrels from tree to tree, in similar essense to Homespring."
>
> Is there a fuller description? How much does it work?

It is capable of printing any number of messages to standard output.
That's... about it. The syntax for the last parser I wrote was like so:

spawn message squirrel,
    teach squirrel "Hello, world",
    insert squirrel into output tree,
    explode squirrel!

Essentially, it's a prepared-message message passing system.
You create messages (squirrels), configure them (teach the squirrels),
schedule them to act on different processes (insert them into trees)
and then order them to perform their action (explode them).

In addition, there are squirrels that produce other squirrels
(pregnant squirrels),
and support for squirrels to be routed between trees automagically
without exploding.

It's pretty useless, but interesting.