Re: [SLUG] Re: slug] On line RPM Package Installation

From: SOTL (sotl155360@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Dec 20 2005 - 08:20:12 EST

On Monday 19 December 2005 04:51 pm, R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, SOTL wrote:
> > After diligent research I have determined that I am short three packages:
> >
> > libmyodbc1-3.51.11-2mdk
> > libmyodbc1-devel-3.51.11-2mdk
> > MyODBC-3.51.11-2mdk
> >
> > I was promptly informed that I had a dependency issue and that I also
> > needed to install them.
>
> (the dependencies, that is.)
>
> The nameing and namespace confusion between the variaous
> RPM based distributions will never be solved, as there is
> not central package nameig authority whcih _must_ be
> obeyed. Let's see what they were built from:
>
> rpm -qip libmyodbc1-3.51.11-2mdk* MyODBC-3.51.11-2mdk*
>
> against the binary packages will indicate in on the right hand
> column. then the source RPM's may be located, and possibly
> rebuilt locally, along with (hopefully) easily determined
> 'BuildRequires'
>
> - Russ Herrold

It is much worse than that.

I was also able to determine that I probably needed 3 packages:

libmyodbc1-3.51.11-2mdk
libmyodbc1-devel-3.51.11-2mdk
MyODBC-3.51.11-2mdk

I was able to find that one may obtain all available packages for Mandrake
{one has to have Mandrake to use this resource] from:

http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/

which of course has the three packages but it also has a large number of other
relevant packages since Easy UPRMI functions through Mandrake's add program
and update system. So, that leads to a lot of confusion as I am not certain
that the above packages are adequate for obtaining a OpenOffice to MySQL ODBC
connection.

When I attempted to install the above 3 packages I need over 100 dependency
packages. TO me that does not sound right as that is very drastically
different from the packages that I downloaded from MySQL in order to make
connection.

Then of course there is the issue of JDBC connection. Which is equally
confusing considering the number of packages that Mandrake says are required
and the ones Sun says are required.

Bottom line to my attempts, so far to making a OpenOffice to MySQL connection
is that Mandrake dependency list is indication I need over 1,000 [Yes that is
over a thousand] packages and ODBC.org and Sun are indicating a total of less
than 10.

On reflection I believe I was about where I am now with making these
connections about 6 months ago and at that time I decided that it might be
best to wait for some of the more computer enlightened aggregation types to
sort this mess out in a later distribution of either Red Hat, Mandrake, or
SuSE.

My current feelings is that that was a wise decision and that somewhere about
March or April I will be able to download an open distribution that may be up
to the level of making a data base connection.

Meanwhile, it might be best for me to go back to work doing something
productive that wards off bankruptcy and starvation.

SOTL