Re: [SLUG] Yet Another Hardware Recommendations Thread

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Dec 21 2005 - 23:46:18 EST

Please trim your replies...

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 19:56, Sick Twist wrote:
> >From: Mike Branda <mike@wackyworld.tv>

> fglrx is the proprietary ATI driver correct? What is the name of the open
> source ATI driver (or are there several for the various chipsets)?
>
> I have heard that the _open_ ATI driver gives better 3D performance than
> the _open_ nVidia driver. Can anyone on the list attest to that? Obviously
> it will depend on hardware but I'm curious to know which manufacturer is
> best supported with open/Free drivers at this point. Also, is the open ATI
> driver as easy to enable in xorg/xfree86 as the nv driver? Please pardon my
> ignorance; I do not have much experience with ATI cards and Linux. Thanks.
>
> -Jonathon

Hmm, I understood you don't have 3D on the OSS drivers, only 2D. That they are
very generic and don't at all take advantage of the (graphics) processors
abilities.

But that could be a misunderstanding on my part. (It's not like there's a lot
of 3D appliations around and I don't have Linux games right now to check).

(I did noticed that only the closed ones gives me dual head abilities.)

Guess a quick google would give the anser to that...

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.