Re: [SLUG] Sharing (Network or SaMBa issue) files on a linux box

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 10:35:23 EST

On Thursday 22 December 2005 09:56, Caleb Rodriguez wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been trying to set up SaMBa on my linux box to allow others
> computers on my network to access files in a directory. The other
> computers are connected through my router and cannot see my linux
> box. My linux box is dual booting and works well with the other OS. I
> really would like to get this working. I feel that it is probably a
> configuration issue. I would really appreciate any help or pointers
> or FAQs that anyone can give me. Someone please throw me a bone. I do
> not wish to use the other OS to share my files. I have tried with no
> success to use webmin and I cannot get swat to work.
>
> Thank you
>
> Also, when I look in my browser at localhost:631 cups does not show up.

The thing to bare in mind is to have holes in the firewall on the needed
ports. What I usually do is look on the network traffic to see where the
communication fails. Plain tcpdump -n host nn.nn.nn.nn (or ethereal).

Each initiation of communication starts with a SYN, SYN ACK, in a hand shake
fashion. If it does not get the ACK back it will retry SYN a number of times
and timeout.

This way you can tell who is doing what. Once the connection is established
you'll see more packets. But my guess is that it fails before that.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.